SQL error 3154 occurs while trying to restore the SQL database from backups.
Luckily, there are several solutions for troubleshooting this SQL error.
Here, at Bobcares our Support Engineers are handling this SQL error frequently as a part of our Server Management Services.
In this article, we’re going to show you what the “SQL error 3154” looks like and how our Support Engineers help to fix it.
What are the causes for SQL error 3154
There are many reasons for this 3154 error to occur. Some of them are:
- When trying to restore a database backup from one SQL Server version to the higher version of SQL Server.
- When the user renames the original database with a different name once the backup of the original database has been created
- Database transaction logs were backed up to the same folder.
- Several databases have been configured for log shipping, etc.
What are the methods to fix SQL error 3154
One of the solutions is to restore the backup set to a different SQL database with a different name.
Always, make sure that the file which will be created does not exist already and is not being used by any other database.
We also have other solutions. Some of them are:
Using T-SQL Command
Here, for resolving the error we overwrite the already existing database through RESTORE DATABASE command using WITH REPLACE clause. Here,
RESTORE DATABASE XYZ FROM DISK = 'C:BackupXYZ.bak' WITH REPLACE
Using SQL Server Management Studio
We can also use SQL Server Management Studio for fixing this error.
The steps to follow are:
- Create a database with your desirable name.
- Right click on the Database >> Tasks >> Restore >> Database.
- In the Restore Database window, click on the Options and then check the “Overwrite the existing database (WITH REPLACE)” box.
- In the end, click OK.
This fixes the error.
Using a dedicated recovery tool
If the above methods do not fix the error 3154, then it might be backup file corruption.
The methods mentioned have some limitations like restrictions on the size of the file, MS SQL version, etc.
In such a case, you may need a dedicated backup recovery tool like “SQL Backup Recovery”.
These tools make resolving the error 3154 simpler by providing many features like supporting all versions of MS SQL Server editions, repairing corrupt SQL .bak file without any file size limitations, restoring SQL BAK file to a new database or an existing database without losing any single record, etc.
[Need assistance in fixing SQL error 3154? Click here to talk to our experts.]
In short, SQL error 3154 occurs due to many reasons like restoring database backup from one SQL Server version to the higher version, database transaction logs were backed up to the same folder, etc. Today, we discussed what are the possible methods by which we can resolve this error 3154 in detail.