Are you getting FTP error 421 too many connections (8) from this IP while using FTP client like FileZilla?
If the FTP client uses more than 8 connections at the same time, it will show an error message similar to this.
By modifying the number of simultaneous connections in FTP client configuration will solve the error.
At Bobcares, we often get requests from our customers to fix FTP error 421 too many connections error as part of our Server Management Services.
Today, let’s get into the details on how our Support Engineers fix this error.
What is FTP error 421 too many connections?
Idle FTP connections are triggered when the FTP client opens multiple connections and not being closed before opening new ones. At that time, if the FTP client is trying to get another connection, the following error can occur.
Usually, by applying the correct settings in FTP clients and flushing idle connections in the hosting control panel may fix the error 421 Too Many Connections (8) from this IP.
FTP error 421 too many connections (8) from this IP – How we fixed it
At Bobcares, where we have more than a decade of expertise in managing servers, we see that many of our clients face problems with FTP clients.
Now, let’s see the major reasons for this FTP error and how our Support Engineers fix this error.
Limit simultaneous connections
The effective way to solve the error is to limit simultaneous connections in the FTP client configuration.
To limit the simultaneous connections, our Support Engineers used the following steps.
1. We launched the FileZilla FTP Client.
2. Then, we clicked on File and open Site Manager.
3. We chose the site for which we want to limit simultaneous connections. After that, we selected the Transfer Settings tab.
4. Next, we checked the box for the Limit number of simultaneous connections and entered a Maximum number of connections to 8.
5. At last, we Click OK.
That’s it. Now, users could log in to the server via FTP.
Closing idle connections in cPanel
One of the ways to fix the error is by closing Idle connections in cPanel. Idle connections are non-active connections in cPanel.
To flush the non-active connections in cPanel, our Support Engineers took the following steps.
1. Initially, we logged in to cPanel.
2. Then, we clicked FTP Session Control in the Files section.
3. We clicked the Disconnect link in the Actions column corresponding to the FTP connection that wants to disconnect.
4. Finally, we clicked Disconnect to proceed button when asked for Are you sure you want to disconnect email@example.com FTP user
After this, new users could start a new connection without any error.
[Need assistance to fix FTP errors? We’ll help you.]
In short, by modifying the number of simultaneous connections in FTP client and dropping the non-active connections in the hosting control panel will solve the FTP error 421 too many connections (8) from this IP. Today, we saw how our Support Engineers assisted our customers to solve the error.