Certificate transparency is a mandatory requirement for all SSL certificate authorities. This means whenever they issue an SSL certificate, they must add it to one or more public certificate transparency logs.
If a certificate authority issues an SSL certificate without adding it to the logs this can trigger certain browser errors. One such common error is ERR_CERTIFICATE_TRANSPARENCY_REQUIRED in Google Chrome. This error is quite common; if you’re not familiar with SSL related errors, you might wonder if there is something wrong with your browser or the internet connection. The issue is most likely caused by an incorrectly issued SSL certificate on the website, which means it’s an error the website owner needs to fix. But in rare cases it can be caused by issues on the user’s end. We’ll offer suggestions for both.
What is The Reason Behind ERR_CERTIFICATE_TRANSPARENCY_REQUIRED Error? What is Certificate Transparency?
Certificate transparency is an initiative to monitor and revoke incorrectly issued SSL certificates to increase safety and security online. It does so by making the SSL certificates of these sites open to be scrutinized by CA, users and domain owners. This makes it faster to detect and revoke SSL certificates issued to hackers and other bad actors.
How To Fix ERR_CERTIFICATE_TRANSPARENCY_REQUIRED Error if You Own the Site
What if you are seeing a ERR_CERTIFICATE_TRANSPARENCY_REQUIRED error on your own website? The most likely cause is that your website is using an SSL certificate that was not correctly logged to certificate transparency logs. The solution is simple: get an SSL certificate from a certificate authority that properly logs certificates. All SSL certificates we seel have been correctly logged.
Save up to 89% on SSL certificates
We offer the lowest prices on SSL certificates from Comodo, GeoTrust, Thawte, Sectigo, Symantec, and RapidSSL. Save up to 89% by purchasing direct from us!
Buy SSL Certificates at Only $5.88
How to Get Rid of ERR_CERTIFICATE_TRANSPARENCY_REQUIRED Error for Chrome Users
There are a few tricks which you can try if you feel that the error is occurring because of some bug in your desktop or browser. Let’s take a look at what those are:
- Update Google Chrome. Make sure that your system has the latest version of Chrome installed. If you are using Chrome version 53, it had a bug that causes this error for GeoTrust, Symantec and certain other certificates. To update your Chrome browser, go to Settings and click on About. The browser will check and notify you if an update is available.
- Disable Your Firewall. Although this method is not recommended, you can use it if none of the other options work. Your firewall may inspect SSL/TLS traffic which can trigger unusual SSL errors. Thereby causing certificate transparency error. Disable your firewall and check if the problem still persists. (Be sure to immediately re-enable it!)
- Clear the SSL State. Clearing the SSL certificate cache of your browser can help you to get rid of ERR_CERTIFICATE_TRANSPARENCY_REQUIRED or related other SSL errors. If you are using Windows:
- Go to Internet Properties
- Navigate to the Content tab.
- Clear SSL State by clicking on the option.
- Select Apply and click on OK.
We hope the article was helpful to you in resolving the ERR_CERTIFICATE_TRANSPARENCY_REQUIRED error.